About Bernie Finn
Bernie Finn was born and raised in Victoria, and has a history of civic engagement in Melbourne’s West. Bernie was first elected to represent the Western Metropolitan Region in the Legislative Council in November 2006.
Actively engaged in Melbourne’s West, Bernie chairs the Keep Essendon Airport Committee. During his first session of Parliament, Bernie has spoken on Western Metro’s behalf in favour of greater support for community values, democratic reform, accountable government, and an economic policy that makes sense for hard working Victorians and their families.
Bernie served for seven years as the first Member of Parliament for Tullamarine (1992-1999). He is also an alumni of Salesian College. Bernie worked as a radio producer, announcer and operator for fifteen years. He also started and operated his own business before working in federal politics as a media advisor.
Bernie’s community service continued in the west through his volunteer activities with Neighbourhood Watch, the Napier Street Kids Project, as the government’s representative on the Melbourne International Airport Development Committee and Victoria University, and through the Australia Day Council (Victoria), the Australian National Flag Association and Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy.
Bernie is a proud supporter of the Mighty Tigers — Richmond Football Club — and enjoys Australian comedy and US politics. He and his wife Cathy have four children.
- Western Metropolitan
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Melbourne’s West
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Electoral Integrity
- Liberal Party
- Legislative Council
- Community Memberships
- Australian National Flag Association
- Zone Leader, Neighbourhood Watch 1988-1991
- Area Secretary, Neighbourhood Watch 1989-1990
- Marketing Taskforce, Richmond Football Club 1990-91
- Active Member, Richmond Football Club.
- Media Adviser, Napier Street Kids Project, 1990
- Victorian Government Representative on the Melbourne International Airport Development Committee, 1992-99
- Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy
- Multiple Birth Association of Victoria
- Western Bulldogs Football Club since 2007
- President, March for Babies since 2009
- Life Member, Hobson’s Bay Maltese Association
- Radio Producer, Announcer, Operator, Herald and Weekly Times (3DB) 1978-1980. Promotions Announcer, Producer and Performer in live stage shows 1980-81. Advertising Sales Executive, Diplomatic House Publishing Group 1982-83. Radio Producer, Announcer, Operator, 3AW 1983-1992. Owner/Operator Finn Communications 1999-2004. Media Adviser, Chris Pearce MP 2004-05. Adviser, Parliamentary Secretary to Commonwealth Treasurer 2005-06.
- Parliamentary Service
- MLA for Tullamarine October 1992-1999
- Elected MLC for Western Metropolitan November 2006
- Re-elected November 2010, November 2014
- Parliamentary Committees Service
- Family and Community Development Committee 1996-99, and since May 2015. Education and Training Committee March-September 2007. Family and Community Development Committee September 2007-November 2010. Chair, Electoral Matters Committee February 2011-November 2014. House Committee June 2011-November 2014. Economy and Infrastructure Legislation Committee and Economy and Infrastructure References Committee February 2011-November 2014 and April-May 2015. Economy and Infrastructure Committee since May 2015.
- Parliamentary Party Positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Autism Spectrum Disorder, Electoral Integrity and Melbourne’s West since January 2015
- Party Positions
- Campaign Director, Brunswick 1982. Vice-President, Ascot Vale Branch 1982-83. Endorsed Candidate for Burke 1983. President, Glenmeadows Branch 1983-1992. State Council Delegate since 1983. Campaign Director, Maribyrnong 1984. Campaign Committee Essendon 1985, Keilor 1988. Member, President’s Standing Committee 1987. Member, Media Committee, Policy Assembly 1987-1990, 2001-2006. Policy Assembly 1987-1992. Campaign Director, Calwell 1990. Calwell Electorate Chairman 1989-1992. Vice-Chairman, Tullamarine Electorate Committee 1991. Chairman and Convenor, Melbourne North Province Committee. Endorsed Candidate, Macedon 2002. Administrative Committee 2003-05. Chairman, Media and Communications Committee 2003-05. Branch Development Committee 2003-06.