Bernie Finn was born and raised in Victoria, and has a history of civic engagement in Melbourne’s West. Bernie was first elected to represent the Western Metropolitan Region in the Legislative Council in November 2006. He was successfully re-elected in 2010, 2014 and 2018.
Actively engaged in Melbourne’s West, Bernie chairs the Keep Essendon Airport Committee. During his first session of Parliament, Bernie has spoken on Western Metro’s behalf in favour of greater support for community values, democratic reform, accountable government, and an economic policy that makes sense for hard working Victorians and their families.
Bernie served for seven years as the first Member of Parliament for Tullamarine (1992-1999). He is also an alumni of Salesian College. Bernie worked as a radio producer, announcer and operator for fifteen years. He also started and operated his own business before working in federal politics as a media advisor.
Bernie’s community service continued in the west through his volunteer activities with Neighbourhood Watch, the Napier Street Kids Project, as the government’s representative on the Melbourne International Airport Development Committee and Victoria University, and through the Australia Day Council (Victoria), the Australian National Flag Association and Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy.
Bernie is a proud supporter of the Mighty Tigers — Richmond Football Club — and enjoys Australian comedy and US politics. He and his wife Cathy have four children.
Listen to Bernie’s interview on air with Neil Mitchell on 3AW on 1st March 2022:
Electorate: Western Metropolitan
House: Legislative Council
- Economy and Infrastructure (Deputy Chair)
- Australian National Flag Association
- Zone Leader, Neighbourhood Watch 1988-1991
- Area Secretary, Neighbourhood Watch 1989-1990
- Marketing Taskforce, Richmond Football Club 1990-91
- Active Member, Richmond Football Club
- Media Adviser, Napier Street Kids Project, 1990
- Victorian Government Representative on the Melbourne International Airport Development Committee, 1992-99
- Australians for a Constitutional Monarchy
- Multiple Birth Association of Victoria
- Western Bulldogs Football Club since 2007
- President, March for Babies since 2009
- Life Member, Hobson’s Bay Maltese Association
- Institute of Public Affairs since 2020
Radio Producer, Announcer, Operator, Herald and Weekly Times (3DB) 1978-1980. Promotions Announcer, Producer and Performer in live stage shows 1980-81. Advertising Sales Executive, Diplomatic House Publishing Group 1982-83. Radio Producer, Announcer, Operator, 3AW 1983-1992. Owner/Operator Finn Communications 1999-2004. Media Adviser, Chris Pearce MP 2004-05. Adviser, Parliamentary Secretary to Commonwealth Treasurer 2005-06.
- MLA for Tullamarine October 1992-1999
- Elected MLC for Western Metropolitan November 2006
- Re-elected November 2010, November 2014, November 2018
Parliamentary Committees Service
Family and Community Development Committee 1996-99, 2007-10, 2015-18. Education and Training Committee March-September 2007. Chair, Electoral Matters Committee February 2011-November 2014. House Committee June 2011-November 2014. Economy and Infrastructure Legislation Committee and Economy and Infrastructure References Committee February 2011-November 2014 and April-May 2015. Economy and Infrastructure Committee since May 2015 (Deputy Chair).
Secretary, Parliamentary Friends of Hong Kong
Parliamentary Friends of Israel
Chairman, Australian Conservative Parliamentary Network
State Leader – Victoria, Democratic Labour Party (June 2022-)